Wednesday, 23 September 2009

An update

Hello.

There seems to have been a bit of a pause here. As there will be an update on a specific new thing very very soon, I thought I'd better fill you in on what's been happening in the past four months.

1) A PLAY HAPPENED.

The theatrical version of Hedwig and the Angry Inch I directed has come and gone. It did really well, and was loads of fun. It's all a bit of a haze now, but I think I managed to get by without yelling at anyone, which was good, or organising a drama game, which fills me with a weird sense of pride. And putting together what was for all intents and purposes an actual rock band was awesome. It was a collaborative effort, and I should probably write a long list of people who need to be thanked, but that might be quite long, so I'll save it for another time. We filmed the last night, and I'm slowly editing that together, and I want to make a big file for all the paintings and photoshops people did for the set and posters and projections. Until then I'll just post a couple of samples. These ones are painted, made and photographed by Alice Cox:






2) WE KIND OF MADE ANOTHER ONE MINUTE ONE TAKE, BUT KIND OF DIDN'T.

We told a lot of people we'd do Star Wars. All of Star Wars. I mean the prequels, that Clone Wars animated movie, the Holiday Special, the originals, maybe even reference some of the cartoons in between. So, with about a week to go for many of our final essay deadlines, we all sat in Vanbrugh bar with Wikipedia in front of us and tried to reduce every single film down to its bare bones, with a main character moving through it.

Then we realised it was completely impossible.

Sure, maybe if we'd just picked one trilogy, cut out the stories of some minor characters, and reused some cardboard spaceships, but that felt like a cop out. But then, maybe everything would be a confusing horrible cop out. And the Star Wars parodies and tributes make up about half the content of Youtube, which felt very disheartening.

So we decided to go in a different direction.



The comments were funny.

On the plus side, we have done another "proper" one, for which we've put in loads of effort and our largest supply of cardboard yet. Uploading that made me realise I should probably write something explaining what had happened in the big blog gap, in case anyone was desperate to know.

3) I GRADUATED.

I got a hat and everything.


That's pretty much the story so far. But more to come very very very soon...

Will.

No comments: